Tuesday, January 16, 2018

Winter Birding Notes



I just wanted to share a few pages from my winter field notes...


If you have ever noticed small flocks of 10-30 birds that scatter from midwestern country roads as you drive by on a winter day it is very likely you are seeing Horned Larks.  


Another common winter bird is the Dark-Eyed Junco, we typically get Slate-Colored Juncos, but I recently had a western subspecies, the Oregon Junco show up in Illinois.


I always enjoy watching the Red-Headed Woodpeckers collect acorns in recently burned oak forests.

2 comments:

Lisa at Greenbow said...

Do you get Lapland Longspurs or Snow Buntings in with all those Horned Lark during winter? I don't know where you are located but around here SW INdiana we do the the other birds mixed in with Horned Lark. Keep an eye out.

Nate said...

I am in central Il, most of our flocks are dominated by horned larks with small numbers of lapland longspurs and the occasional snow bunting!