Tuesday, March 27, 2012

Spring Sketches

Yesterday while spraying invasive lesser celandine (Ranunculus ficaria) I saw my first jack-in-the-pulpit (Arisaema triphyllum) breaking through the leaves.  Here is a sketch of a jack from April 18th 2010 – almost a month later than the one I saw yesterday. 


Trout lily (Erythronium americanum) was in flower here last week saw my first one on March 23 – here is a sketchbook painting of one from last year on April 26 – more than a month difference.


I was in Illinois a few weeks ago and on March 15th I saw Dutchman’s britches (Dicentra cucullaria) and toadshade trillium (Trillium recurvatum) in flower – this sketch was done on April 8th 2010 a solid 3 weeks later compared to this year.



1 comment:

Kathleen Walker said...

Love the trout lilies, I look for them every spring. I am in MA, and we are way behind IL, when I checked last weekend the leaves of the trout lilies still weren't showing above ground. They usually bloom the last week of April for us, though this year I expect them earlier. This last week has been more normal temp wise so even if leaves are now showing don't expect them that much further along.